English Channel Swimming - and other open water swims
(Video on right: Abhejali Bernardova completes the 43rd successful crossing of the English Channel by a member of the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team to swim the Channel in July 2011)
- View list of English Channel (EC) swims by SCMT members (up to 2014, if a swim is missing, please let us know!)
- Since 1985, members of the International Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team have made 45 successful EC solo crossings (by 29 different individuals), and 3 team relay crossings.
In addition, SCMT team members have completed many other open water marathon or long distance swims - from the Zurich Lake Self-Transcendence Marathon Swim to Lake Windermere , Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (MIMS), Hellespont, Strait of Gibraltar and more.
Map of Karteek`s 11th English Channel solo swim on July 30, 2014 - courtesy CS&PF:
Interview with Adriano Passini, Brazil, about his solo English Channel crossing on July 27, 2013 and the preparation leading up to it:
Leading EC solo crossings (all non wetsuit)
- Karteek Clarke (Scotland) - 11
- Vedika Bolliger (Switzerland) - 5
- Vasanti Niemz (Germany) - 2
- Swimming from Europe to Africa II - Strait of Gibraltar, Abhejali Bernadova, Sept. 2013
- "Determination wins the day" - Channel veteran and dedicated helper Karteek Clarke writes about Adriano Passini's English Channel swim of July 27, 2013 on his blog; video-interview with Adriano
- Swimming from Europe to Africa I - Strait of Gibraltar, Vasanti on her blog, Oct. 2012
- Sri Chinmoy inducted into the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (IMSHOF) at the Global Open Water Swimming Community (Vasanti's blog or on Channel swimming news) - Sept. 2012, Queen Mary, Long Beach, California
- June 2013, Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, N.Y., by Abhejali, video
- Abhejali Bernardova swims the English Channel in 2011 (video at Sri Chinmoy TV)
- On Sept. 21st, 2010, the first all boys English Channel relay from our team was successful: in 13 hours 41 min. their 5-member-team reached France, including Angikar from Serbia, who had just done a solo on August 8th/9th, 2010, in over 19 hours. More info on their blog...
- Channel-Triathlon Dover-Calais-Brussels-Aachen, Sept. 3-6, 2010: Almost to the day 25 years after her first EC solo swim Vasanti Niemz, at age 53, completed her first "Self-transcendence" Channel Triathlon, "short distance" to Aachen (EC solo non-wetsuit, 300 km bike, 85 km run). Her goal for the future is still Dover-Heidelberg. Vasanti was the first SCMT member to swim the English Channel in 1985. Vedika (5x EC solo) was the first Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team member to do a Channel Triathlon Dover-Paris back in 1996, when she swam her 2nd solo and then continued to bike and run to Paris. Read Vasanti's triathlon blog about her first EC-triathlon attempt in 2008 and her successful Dover-Aachen EC triathlon in 2010 with many useful links to other related websites.
- 2nd EC relay: On Sept 30th, 2009, an international relay team of 4 female SCMT members from Czech Republic, Iceland and Germany swam from Dover to France in 13 hours 21 min., dedicating their swim to international peace, friendship and harmony and lighting the torch of the World Harmony Run or Peace Run on French sands. Read the story ... (see slide-show)
- Karteek Clarke has crossed the English Channel ten times by 2009, and is still training to increase that total. Read some of his inspiring stories here...
- On September 8, 2007, one month before her teacher, inspirer and mentor Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi, Vijaya Claxton (1948-2009) successfully completed her first English Channel crossing as the oldest U.S. woman (at 59) at that time after 3 heroic attempts in the years before - an effort that earned her the Gertrude Ederle award in March 2008 for the most meritorious 2007 Channel Swim. Read more...
- Lake Zurich marathon swim is a great preparation for the English Channel. Vasanti on her 2008 Lake Zurich marathon training swim leading up to her first EC-triathlon attempt.
- Agadha Szekely from Hungary successfully swam the English Channel in 2003 in 13 hours 5 minutes, you can read his tale here...
- Tejaswi Van Der Walt from Australia gives a very entertaining account of his Channel swim in 2000.
- Karteek and Mate versus the English Channel : a boat crew member's perspective by Devashishu Torpy
- In memoriam : Sunil William Davidson, a much loved SCMT member who swum the channel in 1988
Article about Karteek's 10th crossing of the English Channel on Aug. 13, 2009, in the online newspaper news.scotsman.com, Aug 20, 2009:
"AFTER completing a gruelling swim of the English Channel, he vowed to never put his body through the pain again.
But Edinburgh businessman Karteek Clarke just can't leave a challenge alone. He gave it another go – becoming the first Scot to attempt the crossing twice. Then he did it again, and again, and again.
Incredibly, the 42-year-old business training completed his tenth swim to France – and he puts his remarkable achievement down to meditation and yoga...." more
And another article about Karteek's 10th Channel swim in the Scottish Sun:
"PLUCKY Karteek Clarke has created waves by swimming the Channel TEN times - despite suffering severe SEA SICKNESS.
The 42-year-old admits he keeps vowing never to step foot in the water again but then can't resist another bash at the gruelling challenge.
He said: "Every time I've swum the Channel I've vowed, never again. It is exhausting. But then I get drawn in to complete the challenge just once more. This time it took me 16 hours and 49 minutes to cross from Dover to Calais - that's my longest time yet. Last year I did it in 14 hours and 54 minutes, but my best was under 11 hours. It depends so much on the sea, tides and weather conditions. I suffer from sea sickness so it takes a lot of discipline not to give up..." more
- News articles posted on this site...
- The 26km Zurich Lake swim run by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon team has become a famous training swim for the Channel and a very popular event in its own right, view details of the 26km swim which is held on the first or second Sunday of August each year ...
- Inspirational answers and aphorisms by Sri Chinmoy on the inner significance of swimming.
- A compiliation of training resources and useful infos for the big day by the Channel greats...
- When your arms get tired, you can't take the Chunnel - a very nice article on Alison Streeter, the legendary swimmer with the record of the most Channel crossings.
- Vasanti Niemz and Adiratha Keefe were the first two members of the SCMT to complete the channel crossing in 1985; Sri Chinmoy composed songs for both of them in his native Bengali in tribute to their achievements. Read the lyrics to Vasanti's and Adiratha's songs on srichinmoysongs.com...
- Useful links to other channel and swimming sites...